Saturday, January 31, 2009

let the training begin...sort of

I attended the kick-off for the TNT summer session. Over one hundred participants, mentors and coaches, and a special appearance by TC, mascot for the Minnesota Twins. While there was a lot of excitement and a little nervousness, I was reminded again why I'm doing this.

Eric Dahlquist, the honored teammate for the triathlon events, was in attendance. If you passed him on the sidewalk, he would appear just like any other junior high school-aged kid. But, he has survived leukemia.

Also attending was the honored teammate for the marathon and half marathons, Gracie Theis. She was diagnosed with ALL at the age of two. Her mother recounted the day she first noticed bruises on Gracie, how quickly they spread, and how the mother and the doctors instantly knew: it was leukemia, but what kind? Gracie also has down syndrome. Such hardship, overcome by spirit. Gracie has been in remission since January 2007.

My reasons for doing this are many. What more inspiration is needed to start training right now?

First team swim is this Wednesday. I'll miss it. First team bike (spin) is this Thursday. I'll miss that, too. First team run is Saturday. If I'm not too jetlagged, and the temperature/wind chill is above zero, I will try my hardest to make it. Okay, so the first week isn't going to be that great. But I'll get there. Have to.

1 comment:

  1. Good blog Lani! I'm glad we had a chance to meet on Saturday at the kick off and I stumbled across this.
    Don't worry about missing the first couple of workouts. The season is plenty long so start up when you can.

    BTW, no one looks good in goggles. Tinted or not. :)

    ReplyDelete