Saturday, June 6, 2009

brick four, or "it's raining on my training"

The brick (bike-run-ick) workout today was both miserable and rewarding. (I feel like I've been writing that a lot, throughout training.) It rained. The entire time. Sometimes drizzle. Sometimes worse.

We biked the race course again, which proves to be its own challenge. I have gone a slightly different route each time I've been on the "course." I'm really hoping for clear route markers on race day.

Then we ditched the bikes for the run. The plan was to run one full lap around the lagoon and Nokomis, then out-and-back around the lagoon. Starting out, my ankles and feet were so cold and stiff that I thought they were going to break off. Usually one's leg muscles are whacked in the bike-to-run transition, but not today. Frozen joints. Halfway through the first full lap, I started warming up. Then I started feeling really good. So as I passed the coaches who were so bravely standing in the rain, waiting for and supporting us with their grit and dedication, I told Coach Bob, "One more full lap." And so I did. And it felt exhilarating. Good brick.

6/8/09 update: got a head cold. I had stayed healthy through various bouts of cold/flu infiltrating house and office for the past year. Pretty sure it was from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment